Job Title: Graphic Artist
Reports To: Communications Manager
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Date: May 2017
SUMMARY: Working as part of a team with another designer and reporting to the Communications Manager, the Graphic Artist designs and develops print publications, print and digital collateral, advertising, mass e-mail communications, newsletters, website content, and special projects for Houston’s internationally acclaimed opera company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Create artwork for covers of bimonthly program magazine, sharing design and production responsibilities as coordinated by the Communications Manager
- Design and produce print and online collateral (posters, newsletters, print ads, display ads, programs, direct mail, etc.)
- Design and produce digital artwork for email communications
- Design email communications campaigns, including e-marketing, e-newsletters, performance reminders, and other email communications
- Manage print bidding process for projects and maintain relationships with preferred printers
- Assist with website content management
- Assist with institutional photography and videography as needed
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
- Creative and innovative thinker with strong experience creating original artwork and conceptual design
- Strong understanding of print and web-based design/production as well as brand communications
- Ability to multi-task, exercise independent judgment, and function with minimal supervision while working against deadlines in a fast-paced environment is required
- Detail-oriented with attention to process
- Must be a team player, clear communicator, and possess excellent interpersonal & customer service skills.
- Interest in the arts a plus
- Applicant must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Perks include access to final dress rehearsals of great musical productions with fantastic voices
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, English, Graphic Design, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3-5 years experience
- Versatility on Mac and PC
- Magazine, book design, typesetting, and/or agency experience helpful
- Portfolio submission required
Frequently communicates with members of staff. Must be able to exchange accurate and clear information on ideas and work progress. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75%, and is occasionally lifting up to 20lbs. Occasional bending and stooping.