Job Title: Executive Assistant to the Managing Director
Department: Office of the General Director
Reports To: Managing Director
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Date: May 2017
SUMMARY: Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the Executive Assistant to the Managing Director provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Office of the General Director. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors and senior management teams; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects. The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small, close-knit environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community orientated. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. The Executive Assistant to the MD has one direct report – the Assistant to the Artistic and Music Director – and both these roles work in conjunction with the Governance and Business Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Managing Director including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the Managing Director's schedule is followed and respected. Provides "gatekeeper" and "gateway" role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the Managing Director's time and office. Anticipates requirements (documentation/meal/other) and plans accordingly
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the Managing Director, with Board members, donors, staff, and others, on matters related to Managing Director's programmatic initiatives.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Managing Director, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Managing Director's office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the Managing Director to keep him well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the Managing Director updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the Managing Director, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the Managing Director's ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Senior Management Planning
- Attend all SMT meetings and ensure knowledge on all topics. Take ownership of the take-aways for the Managing Director/ Artistic & Music Director.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of senior management team meetings, and all-staff meetings
- Manage the department budget and forecasting
- Preparing Managing Director’s remarks for internal and external events and activities
- Support and foster positive company morale by coordinating OGD department hosted company-wide activities and events
- Manage creation of Opening Night Cards, signing process and distribution
- Handle all OGD related comp. ticket requests
- Maintains office stationary, beverage and food supplies
- Ensuring necessary timely sign off and submission of all requirements
Support and further the Managing Director’s other professional relationships with individuals and organizations such as Opera America, Big 7, Theater District Association, Electronic Media Association, Wortham Center Operating Company, Houston Arts Combined Endowment Foundation, and others as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Strong work tenure: five to 10 years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization;
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Emotional maturity.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.